Thursday, May 21, 2009

I Am a Graduate of the Parsons Fashion Department




I graduated yesterday and as much as I want to say that it was the best 4 years of my life thus far, I really can't. It was literally full of blood, sweat, many many tears, and a ridiculous amount of stress, and I am certain that no one but my fellow classmates will truly understand.

One of the girls that gave a speech yesterday said it best when she said that once we decided that this was the school we were headed to, we really sold our souls. Other people were on their way to gaining an undergraduate education...we basically got a full time job with no summer break, winter break, spring break, or thanksgiving break. And as much as I would have loved to slack off, I just couldn't let myself.

But after 4 years of non-stop hard work, I have to say that this last month has been incredibly rewarding. Before beginning my thesis collection I told myself that I don't need anyone's approval and that in the end, I need to be happy and proud of the outcome...and I am. I really really am happy not only with my thesis collection but of who I've become.

As much as I complain and complain about the school, I'm grateful for what I've learned, the relationships that I've made, and that I can say that I'm a Parsons Fashion Alumn like so many other designers before me. AND I really don't like living in the city. It definitely has its charms but in the end I'll always be a California girl, but more on that later (:

2 comments:

  1. hey, i googled up 'parsons graduate' and this blog post came up. do you mind if i contact you somehow for further information on your parsons experience? im actually a second-year science major at a normal university and have been seriously considering switching into fashion design for a long time. i got into parsons and they gave me til next week to decide. thanks, sorry this is random/stalkerish

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for being stalkerish --just bc youre the exact 'inspiration' ive been desperately searching for in the past year-- and i wish there was some private way to contact you thru blogspot but i dont think i can, so my email is tarimson@usc.edu....

    ReplyDelete